Move Over Rice. We’ve got a Leaner Meaner Grain Movin’ in!
Well with that being said, I still have to say I still love you Mr. Rice! Sorry but the guilt got me… I don’t want to bash my old faithful!
Quinoa is the new IT girl though right?! Everywhere you turn this tiny little grain is popping up. We all know the virtues of it…. full of essential amino acids, like lysine, high in protein and also has acceptable quantities of calcium, phosphorous and iron, but to me the best qualities it has are its taste and texture.
One of the other things I love about quinoa is its versatility. It can be used as a salad, breading, pudding, risotto, grainy side dish, ground smooth as a fish topping, or raw in granola.
As a Mom of a child with nut allergies, I find quinoa can be substituted in a lot of recipes that call for nuts.
When I make salads I always try and use a variety of coloured quinoas like the red and black and white. The darker grains have a much nuttier flavor a retain their crunch a bit more after cooking.
This dish uses a very similar method to cook as a traditional risotto. Add your fat and flavourings along with the quinoa to toast it, then add liquids to absorb and stir with the grain. As I mention in the recipe you can cover and let the mixture cook for about 15 minutes first though ad then finish it with the traditional stir method.
Like rice risotto, you can change-up the flavours any way you’d like, even making it into a breakfast porridge!
Quinoa Risotto with Chicken Supreme, Poached Eggs and Trumpets
- 4 Blue Goose Pure Foods Organic Chicken Supreme or Bone-in, Skin-On Chicken Breasts
- Himalayan Pink sea salt
- Freshly cracked pepper
- 2 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons, unsalted butter
- ¼ cup finely chopped shallots
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 cup quinoa
- 1 cup Blue Goose Pure Foods Chicken Stock
- 2 cups evaporated skim milk
- 3 tablespoons light cream cheese
- 2 sprigs fresh thyme, leaves only
- 4 eggs, soft poached
- Chives, coarsely chopped
- 5oz dried trumpets, soaked in hot water, squeezed dry and finely chopped
- 2 shallots, finely chopped
- ½ garlic clove, finely chopped
- EVOO, just a splash
- Set oven to 425 degrees.
- Place 1 tablespoon butter, shallot, garlic and quinoa in a pot on medium heat. Toast quinoa until it begins to puff slightly, about 6 min. Stir often so not to burn mixture.
- Add milk and broth, lower heat to simmer and cover. Cook for 15 minutes and then remove the lid and continue to cook for 5 minutes while continually stirring.
- Add remaining tablespoon of butter, thyme and cream cheese. Stir until cheese is completely incorporated.
- Set aside and keep warm. If it thickens too much add a touch more milk or broth.
- Loosen skin and place garlic gently between the skin and flesh. Sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- With a cast iron pan set on medium high, sear chicken skin side down until golden brown; approx. 10 min.
- Turn chicken over and place entire pan in oven for 15-18 min.
- Add mushrooms, garlic and shallots along with EVOO and sauté for 5 minutes until onions and garlic are soft.
- Slice chicken. Divide risotto between 4 plates, top with chicken, egg, mushroom mixture and chives. Serve immediately.