A Tomato Twist!
When summer starts to feel like it’s around the corner, my mind always goes to Spring and Summer produce… especially tomatoes!! Come on people….is there really anything better than the taste of a locally farmed summer tomato?? The other thing that motivated this dish was a new book I’ve been reading… this Donna Hay cookbook. Her books always look so vibrant and healthy! This in fact isn’t in her book but I feel it could be!
So as I said summer is coming… but not quite here, so with that in mind I made these beautiful organic chicken breasts topped with a Caprese salad!!
First of all the finished product is going to rely heavily on the quality of your meat! Trying to go as natural or organic as possible will make a world of difference in both the taste, texture and moisture level when cooked!
I love the simplicity and speed of making this dish. When I serve it to the kids I usually serve it with pasta tossed in pesto and an arugula salad. But feel free to pair it with anything you’d like!!
Caprese Chicken with Fresh Mozzarella
- 4 Blue Goose Pure Foods Boneless skinless chicken breast
- 2 cups Italian seasoned breadcrumbs
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- your favourite tomato sauce
- 2 roma tomatoes, sliced
- 2 large bocconcini, sliced into 4 slices per ball
- fresh basil
- Set oven to 400 degrees.
- Place eggs and breadcrumbs in two separate wide shallow bowls. dip chicken in egs and then fully coat in breadcrumbs. repeat with remaining chicken.
- Place on a parchment lined baking sheet. Spray with cooking spray on both sides and bake for 30 minutes.
- Remove from oven and top in this order: tomato sauce, sliced tomato, salt/pepper and then top with a couple of cheese slices.
- Place back in the oven for 6 minutes. Remove and top with fresh basil.
- Serve immediately.