The Pho is the most typical dish of Vietnamese cuisine. It is a clear soup of noodles or rice noodles with meat, bean sprouts, and some fresh herbs. On the Vietnam street, we can find hundreds of street food stands that serve this soup “Pho Vietnam” of noodles for breakfast, lunch, or dinner.
Pho soup varieties
There are two more typical versions of the Pho soup, with chicken or Chicken noodles soup and with beef or Beef noodles soup, which we are going to prepare today. According to the places in Vietnam, where we test may vary a little bit. The most significant difference between the northern and southern will be the southern one has more accompaniments such as sauces, herbs, and vegetables, while the northern one usually accompanied by a few segments of lime and a little bit of cayenne pepper cut.
How to get the “Pho” to have a clear soup:
It is one of the main characteristics of the Pho soup in Pho restaurant. The first thing we will do is to boil the bones and meat for five minutes and then the water we will put it. We will clean them thoroughly if we cook them over low heat together to the rest of the ingredients.
The smoked taste of Pho soup:
It is another characteristic of the Pho Vietnam; it achieved by grilling the onion, shallot, and ginger. Once they have burned on the outside and with the help of a knife, we will remove the blackest parts, leaving only a little so that we will get a very original smoky taste point of our Pho soup.
What is accompanied by the Pho Vietnam?
Vietnamese restaurants serving soup “Pho” always have at the tables with a variety of seasonings. The flavor adjusted from soup to taste, and these condiments include, among others, Sriracha sauce, Hoisin sauce accompanied with bean sprouts, Thai basil, coriander, and some segments of lime. Besides, if you like spicy flavor, it also accompanied by cut green Cayenne pepper.
How do you eat Pho soup?
Once we have the Pho bowl with our soup and all the accompaniments next to it. The first thing we will do is add to our bowl a good amount of bean sprouts, then fresh herbs such as basil or coriander leaves that we will break a little by hand. Finally, we will put a few drops of lime on the top. As for the Hoisin and Sriracha sauces, some people like putting a little of them directly in the soup. Some others like to put them together in a small bowl and dip wetting the pieces of meat and vegetables.
RECIPE: VIETNAMESE NOODLES SOUP
Details of Pho Vietnam recipe
Preparation time: 30 mins
Cooking time: 4 hours
Cuisine: Vietnamese food
- For soup
2.5 liters of water
1 kilo Veal bones
300 g Veal sausage
1 large onion
1 piece of ginger
5 tablespoons fish sauce
1/2 tablespoon salt
1 tablespoon sugar
5 units of Star Anise
2 Cinnamon stick
1 Black Cardamom (Optional)
1/2 tablespoon Coriander seeds (Optional)
1/2 tablespoon fennel seeds (optional)
- For the bowl
400g Rice noodles (1 package)
To accompany (optional): Bean sprouts, Thai basil, coriander or coriander leaves, lemon slices, Sriracha sauce, and Hoisin sauce.
1. Hydrate rice noodles for at least 1 hour.
2. Grill the onion, shallot, ginger, cinnamon, and star anise. With the help of a knife, remove the most burned parts leaving a little.
3. Toast the spices. Put them in an infusion bag and reserve for later.
4. Boil the bones and blood sausage, when it breaks to boil, wait 5 minutes and discard the water. Clean bones and meat thoroughly.
5. In a large pot, put the bones and meat fresh, onion, and ginger. Add 2.5 liters of water and simmer without boiling for 1 hour.
6. Remove fats and impurities when they appear.
7. After this time, add shallots, sachet with spices, salt, fish sauce, and sugar. Stir and let cook another within 2 hours.
8. After 2 hours, remove the meat, let it cool completely in a bowl of water, and avoid darkening. When the meat completely cooled, cut it carefully as it breaks easily.
9. Meanwhile, we are going to prepare the rest of the ingredients: cut the onion in fine julienne, separate the white part of the scallion and chop the green part next to the cilantro, cut the white part of the scallion in julienne and finely chop the veal.
10. To prepare the bowl: take a serving of rice noodles and blanch in boiling water for 15 seconds. Then put them in the bowl. Place the meats on top. Fresh meat cooked in two ways, directly in the bowl, when you add the hot soup, it finished, or we can pre-scalded it in the soup pot.
11. Complete with scallions, onion, cilantro, and finally add a good amount of soup. Finish with a touch of black pepper on the top and ready to serve.
12. Accompany with Hoisin sauce and Sriracha sauce with bean sprouts, Thai basil, coriander, and some lime wedges.