Twisted Bacon and Eggs
Well that’s a wrap! Halloween is over and we now have to wait a whole year again. Today’s blog isn’t going to be a long one…tired, tired, tired! The adult Halloween party was last night and what a blast it was. It’s an annual event put on by great friends at a local Resto/Bar and we are definitely a wild group of Halloweeners…or maybe just weeners…not sure! Either way it was FUN…but feeling it a bit today! I’m very grateful for daylight savings time today as well!!! Love that extra hour. 🙂 We had snow here yesterday so I’ve included a few pictures of our first snow fall here in Toronto, a picture of us from the party last night and the beautiful day we woke up to. Mother nature, you always amaze me. . The mix of the snow with the beautiful colourful leaves is almost magical. One of my daughters felt compelled to go out and build a teeny snowman. I’m getting very excited for ski season!!
I think todays brunch is one of my favorite things to serve for either a brunch or a side dish. Crispy potatoes, skinny French beans, bacon and rich soft poached eggs rock my world. I know lots of you don’t love soft yolks |(my husband among them) but I have to say you’re missing out on one of foods greatest gifts. If you want to use this as a side dish just hard boil the eggs instead and chop them into the salad. It can be served either hot or cold. I remember back when my husband and I started dating, I offered to cook a whole spread for one of his poker nights. Usually he grilled some burgers and put out chips, so when I offered he was more than happy to have me shake it up a bit. I was super excited to make “man” food. Everything rich, fatty and decadent…but with a twist! This was one of the things I made and I can remember him telling me the boys were drooling….
I also recall him mentioning the guys actually drinking the BBQ sauce I made for the night. I created it just for that event because my husband loves spicy food. It was a chipotle molasses sauce and it’s now one of our staples in the house. My hope is that soon I will be bottling both of my BBQ sauces for sale. Stay tuned!
- 24 mixed colour gem potatoes in half
- 32 french beans
- 12 bacon strips
- 4 very thin rounds Vidalia or red onion
- 16 grape or cherry tomatoes
- 8 eggs soft poached
- 4 tablespoons Olive oil
- 1 tablespoon Fresh thyme
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 6 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 clove garlic
- ½ tsp fresh thyme
- Set oven to 400 degrees. Place potatoes, olive oil, thyme and salt/pepper on a cookie sheet and mix to fully coat all of the potatoes in the oil mixture. Cook for 45 or until golden and soft.
- In a salted pot of water add beans and cook until crisp.
- In a fry pan cook ban until crispy and break into large pieces.
- To soft boil eggs refer here.
- For dressing mx all ingredients together in a small mason jar and shake. It may seem more vinegary than most dressings but that’s because the oil on the potato comes into play when it’s all mixed together.
- To assemble mix potatoes, beans, bacon, onion and tomatoes together. Drizzle with dressing. Place soft boiled eggs on top; add a touch more dressing.