Three Tomato Pasta with Scallops
A couple of weekends ago I decided to go to the cottage. My Mom is up there and it was time to get ready and organized for ski season. Always seems to be so much to buy and plan out before each season begins. Skiing is a huge part of our family’s winter life. We hit the road to the cottage every Friday along with a lot of other Torontonians for the ski country. It makes our long winters not just bearable but truly enjoyable. The friends we have made and my children have made will last a lifetime.
This pasta is among my most favorite pasta dishes. It’s simple and quick and it tastes crazy good for such few ingredients. I’ve been making it for about five years and for those busy nights it’s something the whole family will enjoy that’s healthy. In this recipe I decided to do it with scallops. Most of my family likes them and my husband and I LOVE them (you will definitely be seeing more scallop recipes soon)! You could use many other proteins like chicken or shrimp, or nothing and just enjoy the pasta. This is also great as a first course.
Even though we were at the cottage we decided to set the table a little fancy and have Champagne with our meal (something we do too often lol). Hey, I figure why not…why save the good stuff for a special occasion. Sort of like the good china and crystal, What are you saving it for…USE IT!! Set a gorgeous table more often; I truly believe it makes the food tastes better! 🙂
- Coarse salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 pound spaghetti
- 5 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 small sweet onion, sliced thinly
- 2 anchovy fillets, coarsely chopped
- 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 1 28-ounce can whole peeled tomatoes, with juice (preferably San Marzano)
- 1/2 cup oil-packed sun-dried tomatoes, chopped
- 1 pound cherry tomatoes, halved (multi-coloured is best)
- 8 large scallops
- ½ cup grated parmigiano cheese
- In a large pot of boiling salted water, cook the spaghetti until al dente according to the package directions. Drain, reserving 1 cup of the pasta water; return the pasta to the pot.
- Meanwhile, heat 3 tablespoons olive oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add onion, garlic and crushed red pepper; cook until fragrant and soft, about 5-7 minutes. Add anchovies and stir until the dissolve in to onion mixture. Add canned tomatoes with juice and sun-dried tomatoes. Simmer gently over medium, stirring occasionally and breaking up canned tomatoes until thick, 15 minutes. Add cherry tomatoes; simmer until soft, 10 minutes.
- Dry scallops with paper towel and sprinkle with salt and pepper. In a medium sauté or fry pan (don’t use non-stick), heat 2 tablespoons of olive oil and 2 teaspoons of butter over high heat. Once the fay has begun to smoke, add the scallops to the pan making sure they aren’t touching. Cook for 1 1/2 minutes per side. They should have a rich golden crust.
- Add tomato mixture to the pasta; season with salt and pepper. Toss, adding pasta water as desired. Serve immediately with scallops. Serve with cheese and extra chili flakes.
- 18 Fabulous Scallop Recipes Guaranteed to Impress Your Valentine - - […] Get the Recipe at Nancy’s Cravings […]