Thai Coconut and Corn Chowder with Organic Chicken and Quinoa
This soup could Thai me over everyday!!!
I sometimes feel I’m a bit obsessed with Thai food. I go through stages where want to cook it all the time but often find that although my dinners are yummy and rarely flops, they just don’t pack a punch like my favorite take-out spot!
This recipe is the exception!
First I have to say that this recipe came to me one morning from looking in my cupboards at some ingredients. All of these ingredients are staples in my house and get turned into a variety of different recipes. That particular morning though they were calling for soup… it was cold and snowy!
The simplicity and speed that this soup comes together might be what makes it a favorite for me now! Plus I couldn’t believe the depth in flavour for such a quick cook time. If you have all these ingredients at home I swear you can make it and be eating in less than 30 min! I think by pureeing half of the soup it makes it creamy and rich while still having the crunch of the quinoa and carrots in the other unblended half.
You’ll see in the recipe that I suggest partially freezing the chicken first. Don’t skip this step… it really does make the chicken better by slicing it very thin. The freezing makes your life a whole lot easier – it will slice through like butter!
The other nice thing is that the recipe is fairly light in calories and rich in healthy ingredients!
I’m craving it again now!! I think another batch will be made this weekend!
- 4 Blue Goose Pure Foods Organic boneless skinless chicken breast, semi frozen and thinly sliced*
- 1 medium sweet onion, finely chopped
- 1 large carrot, peeled and sliced in ¼ inch rounds
- 1 inch piece ginger, peeled and grated
- 1 900ml organic chicken broth
- 1 398ml can light organic coconut milk
- 1-1/2 cups cooked quinoa (I used 3 colours)
- 2 cups frozen corn kernels
- 2 tablespoons green curry paste
- 2 limes (juice from 1 and the other cut into 6 wedges)
- Salt to taste
- ½ teaspoon chili flakes, or more to taste
- Cilantro, to taste
- Crushed peanuts
- Spray fry pan with cooking spray and heat on medium high. Cook all chicken enough to be opaque but not browned. It’s ok if it’s still slightly undercooked. It will finish cooking in the soup.
- Spray large pot with cooking spray; add onion and ginger. Sauté on medium heat for 4-5 minutes or until onion is translucent. Add curry paste and cook for 3 min. Add broth, coconut milk, quinoa and corn. Cook for 5-8 min or until corn is completely warmed through. Divide soup in half. Blend half of the soup in a blender, working in small batches. Once half is blended, mix all soup together again in same pot. Heat to medium low; add carrots and chicken. Continue to cook for 15-20 min. or until carrots are soft. Add lime juice. Season to taste with salt, chili flakes and cilantro. Sprinkle with peanuts. Serve immediately.
- *by partially freezing the chicken it allows you to easily slice the chicken thinly.
- 50 Healthy Quinoa Recipes | HelloNatural.co - […] Thai coconut and corn chowder by Nancy’s Cravings. An easy, quick soup that still satisfies your Thai food […]