Thai Coconut Chicken Satay
BBQ season is Baaaaack Baby!!!!
Here in Toronto, Spring has been ever so slightly elusive. One day it’s warm and the next day it’s snowing! Really and truly snowing….in the middle of May….whaaaat!?!?!
Like most Canadians we talk about the weather A LOT, but this year there really has been so much to complain about if you live in Southern Ontario. I’m generally a glass half full kinda gal, but if Mother Nature doesn’t pull it together and bring me some long hot days of summer soon, there’s a very good chance I’m gong to lose all faith in her!!
So with summer on the brain, I’m bbq’n whenever it’s not snowing or raining (I might add, today is beautiful and I’m having meatloaf for dinner…go figure)!
My kids always like foods that seem fun to eat, so I figured lets go with skewers for a change. I know loading up skewers can be a teeny bit time consuming but these are a little quicker (only meat) and are so worth the effort.
In the recipe you’ll see that they need to be marinated for up to 24 hours, try and do that. The meat tenderizes, absorbs the flavours and the skewers soak in the liquid which helps prevent them from burning and flaring up.
Feel free to serve them with everything from rice and veg to Thai noodle salad!!
- 4 boneless skinless blue goose pure foods chicken breast, thinly sliced diagonally in 5 strips
- 1 can full fat coconut milk
- 1in. piece ginger, peeled and grated
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 lime, zest and juice
- 3 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 teaspoon fish sauce
- 2 teaspoons ground coriander
- 3 tablespoons fresh cilantro
- 1 cup of your favorite Peanut Sauce or Sweet Chili Thai Sauce
- Place all ingredients from coconut milk up to fresh cilantro in a large Pyrex dish pan blend well. Place chicken skewers in dish, making sure to pre and coat all pieces. Place in fridge and marinate between 3 and 24hrs. The longer the better.
- Set oven to 400 degrees.
- Heat bbq to medium high and grill pieces until nice char marks form and begins to looked cooked, aprrox. 5-8, turning frequently.
- Remove to a baking sheet and transfer to oven for 10-12min.
- To serve place on a tray, sprinkle with cilantro and serve with sauces and steamed rice.