Tempura Chicken Sushi Nachos
Sushi up to me with your Nacho!
Why shouldn’t Asia have their own fancy nacho dish!! It’s fun to take traditional dishes from a country and reinvent them into North American snack food. Like buffalo sauce and wings from my previous superbowl posts, nachos definitely hit the spot on game day!
It’s a great sharing food, cheesy, salty and has a crazy crunch! It was easier than I thought to create all the same elements in sushi nachos! I used wonton wrappers instead of tortilla chips and sweet sushi rice as the base and then layered it with amazing organic tempura chicken, avocado , shredded cabbage, buffalo Mozzarella and spicy Wafu Mayonnaise! I think this is now my official go to recipe to impress the masses and satisfy game day cravings!!
Watch out Mexico Japan is coming up behind you!!! Oh wait actually Mexico doesn’t really have nachos like these anyway but hey…you get the idea!
- 3 Blue Goose Pure Foods Organic Boneless Skinless Chicken Breasts
- ¾ cup rice flour
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1 cup cold water
- ¾ cups flour, sifted
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- 60 wonton wrappers, separated and cut in half (square or round)
- 2 avocados, peeled and chopped
- 3-4 green onions. chopped
- 1-1/2 cups Sweet sushi rice
- 2 cups finely shredded savoy cabbage
- 1 bufalo Mozzarella ball. chopped
- Wafu Spicy Mayo (mayonaizu)
- Slice or chop chicken into small bite size pieces. Coat in rice flour and shake off excess. Add egg, water, flour and baking powder together and gently mix. Be careful not to over mix. Dip chicken in mixture and set aside.
- Place rice in pot along with 2 cups water and ¼ teaspoon salt, bring to a boil. Cover and set to simmer. Cook until all water is absorbed. Approx. 25 min. Keep warm.
- Set oven to 300 degrees. Bring oil to 370 degrees and cook wontons in small batches for 3-4 minutes or until golden coloured. Place on paper towel to drain. Keep each batch warm in oven.
- Fry chicken in oil at 370 degrees for 10 min. Drain on paper towel to drain and season with a touch of salt.
- To plate place wontons and chicken in layers. Top with rice, avocado, cabbage, green onion, cheese, sriracha and spicy mayo. Serve immediately.