Simple Salmon Pho
This recipe is Pho-bulous!!!!
It’s a long weekend here in Canada, Victoria day weekend! So that meant something a little more special for Sunday brunch at the cottage this week. I’ve decided to go completely Paleo so other than the noodles and soy sauce (which I omitted for mine) this is a great recipe to adapt to your dietary needs.
If you don’t like salmon use beef, chicken, shrimp or any other type of fish that appeals. If you decide to go with beef then maybe just switch out the broth to beef broth.
We’ve had a couple of rainy days so far this weekend until today…yiiipppee!! Sun is out, temp is heading up and the birds are chirping! I see a bike ride in my future! Yesterday was a busy one because I was catering a large party so today and tomorrow are all about family and friends!
Anyway…that’s all from me today because to be honest I want to get off the computer, out of the kitchen and get outside!
- 2 packages ramen noodles, throw away the soup mix
- 4-4oz organic salmon fillets
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1 large onion, halved
- 1 4 -inch piece ginger, unpeeled, halved
- 4 cups low-sodium organic chicken broth
- 5 star anise pods
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 4 scallions
- 2 jalapeno peppers, preferably red and green
- 1/2 cup fresh cilantro
- 2 to 4 tablespoons fish sauce
- 1 cup zucchini ribbons
- 1 cup bean sprouts
- 2 limes
- 4 baby bok choy
- 1/2inch piece ginger, finely chopped
- 1 garlic, chopped
- 2 tablespoons honey
- ¼ teaspoon chili flakes
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- ½ lime, juice and zest
- Place all ingredients for marinade in a shallow bowl and marinate the fish for 1 hour. Turning regularly.
- Prepare the noodles as the label directs.
- Meanwhile, place a large pot over high heat. Add the onion and ginger to the pot; cook about 4 minutes.
- Add the broth, 3 cups water, the star anise and cinnamon, reduce the heat and simmer about 20 minutes.
- While the broth is simmering, heat a pan to medium high and spray with cooking spray. Cook salmon until opaque but slightly raw in the center. Approx. 3 min per side.
- Meanwhile, thinly slice the scallions and jalapenos (remove seeds for less heat) and tear the cilantro.
- Drain the noodles.
- Add the fish sauce to the broth and boil 5 minutes. Add the bok choy and shitake mushrooms; cook for 5 min.
- Discard the ginger, star anise and cinnamon stick.
- Remove and slice the onion.
- Divide the noodles among 4 bowls; top with the broth, scallions, cilantro, bean sprouts, zucchini, bok choy mushrooms, jalapenos and onion. Place salmon in the center.
- Serve with Lime wedges and more hot peppers.