Savoury Oatmeal with Mascarpone, Sunflower Pesto, Chorizo and Poached Egg
Can you wrap your head around Savoury Oatmeal!?!
When I first started to see recipes for oatmeal that wasn’t sweet I have to say I was very intrigued! I imagined it like a slightly healthy breakfast polenta or risotto! The question was will the taste good or yuk…well it tasted crazy good!
It’s oddly very easy and fast to make! I chose ingredients that appeal to me but skies the limit with this relatively neutral base!
When I started working out with my trainer Mike a couple of years ago he set a diet for me that honestly seemed like too much food. He wanted me to eat every 2-3 hours with very specific foods. My started with a no food treadmill workout at home followed by egg white and oatmeal everyday. The quantity he wanted me to consume didn’t seem like a lot until I started to eat it and realized it was gonna happen.
I’ve never been much of a breakfast eater (mostly I like protein shakes) so the idea of eating oatmeal AND eggs was a bit crazy to me. Mike’s a drill sergeant though so I got onboard and did what I was told! After a few days I would wake up craving my egg whites and oatmeal!!
Well this is for you Mike (ok, so there may be a few add ins that you wouldn’t approve of. But hey, you only live once right!). I will always crave my oatmeal and eggs!
- 2 cups water (1 cup water if using old-fashioned oats)
- 1 cup steel-cut oatmeal (or rolled old-fashioned oats)
- ¼ cup sunflower seeds + 2 tablespoons
- ½ cup basil leaves
- ¼ parmesan cheese
- 1 garlic clove
- ½ cup olive oil
- S + P
- ½ cup chorizo, chopped or sliced
- 4 eggs, soft poached
- 1 cup avocado, chopped
- ¼ cup mascarpone
- 1. Bring water to a boil in a pot. Pour in oatmeal, reduce heat to a simmer, and cover. Cook for 25 to 30 minutes, until oats have reached desired tenderness.
- 2. Puree ¼ cup sunflower seeds, basil, parmesan, garlic and salt/pepper while slowly adding olive oil.
- 3. Fry chorizo until crisp.
- 4. Separate oatmeal into 4 bowls, add sunflower, chorizo, mascarpone, poached eggs and avocado. Sprinkle a few more sunflower seeds and basil leaves.