Sausage, Arugula and Goat’s Cheese Breakfast Strata
You Strata Make this Christmas Morning!!
Breakfast on Christmas morning is almost as important as the turkey dinner that follows that night! Having the excitement and chaos of Santa’s arrival and madly opening gifts leaves everyone famished and always excited for the kind of breakfast they’d dream of every morning!
What you don’t have though Christmas morning is a whole lot of time, so I always make things that can be prepared the day before and popped in the oven while we open the gifts. My usual breakfast includes a strata of some description, an overnight baked French toast casserole, baked whole peameal, fresh fruit, bagels, cream cheese and smoked salmon along with fresh muffins and pastries AND OF COURSE Mimosas!
All of these things can easily be prepared the day before and laid out buffet style for everyone to devour.
This year with much thought I decided on cubed Rustic white loaf, sausage arugula, goats cheese and roasted red peppers. The mixture is so satisfying with the perfect blend of sweet Italian smoked sausage, nutty arugula and creamy cheese. If you don’t like my choices switch it up anyway you like, the basic recipe will work with almost any veg or cheese!
Merry Christmas and Happy Cravings!!
- 4 Blue Goose Pure Foods Smoked Italian Sausages, sliced in ½ inch rounds
- 15 eggs
- 1 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon thyme
- ½ teaspoon cracked pepper
- ¼ teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 large rustic white bread loaf, cut into 1 inch cubes
- Large handful baby arugula
- ½ cups chives
- 1 roasted red pepper, chopped
- 5oz crumbled goat’s cheese
- Cooking spray
- Crack eggs in a large mixing bowl along with milk and all spices. Whisk until blended. Toss with bread cubes to moisten all cubes. Add sausage, arugula, chives and peppers.
- Pour mixture into a greased 9x9 casserole dish. Sprinkle cheese over the top.
- This can be covered and left in the fridge overnight or baked right away.
- Bake at 375 degrees uncovered for 45 min.