Roasted Beets, Orange and Goat’s Cheese
You can’t beat beets!!!!
As Christmas season 2014 comes to an end I find myself yearning for the fresh simple flavours of summer and fall already. I think the rich holiday foods have been the best, but I’m done. I’m now ready for crisp, cold veggies. I’m a skier and my family has the privilege of skiing every weekend at our cottage all winter. Today as I came in for lunch I watched so many line up for chili, hotdogs, burgers, chicken fingers and poutine (fries, gravy and cheese curds – for all my non Canadian blog friends) all I could think of was the build your own salad section in the lodge. I made a salad with mixed greens, chickpeas, mushrooms, peppers, black olives, corn, beets, feta and roast chicken. It was incredible. No salad dressing – I know I’m weird. But I truly love the taste of veggies in their naked state.
As I finished my salad the one thing I was sad to see go was the beets. It left me wanting more!!! So when I arrived home I made this salad with all the items I always have in my house. Its simple, quick and easy! Enjoy and I think this recipe will leave you craving more!
- 8 large beets (any colour), ends trimmed and washed
- 2 naval oranges or 4 clementine's, peeled and sliced in rounds
- 3oz goat's cheese, crumbled
- 1/4 teaspoon sumac
- salt and pepper to taste
- olive oil
- balsamic vinegar
- Place beets in a pot with enough water to cover beets. Boil on medium low heat until soft, approx. 45 min.
- Peel and slice beets. Plate beets with oranges, arugula and goat's cheese. Drizzle olive oil and balsamic vinear. Sprinkle sumac, salt and pepper.