Speedy Weeknight Pumpkin and Ground Chicken Sausage Pasta
Put the Pumpkin in the Pasta!!
This recipe will surprise you! Even when I started making it and adding things, I wasn’t exactly sure where it was going or how it would turn out. I’ve had variations of this in restaurants but never tried to recreate it at home before.
Since the first time in the fall trying it, I’ve made it over and over again! It’s become one of my quick weeknight meals that pleases everyone. My kids even fight over the leftovers for lunch the next day.
I’m going to be honest here… as you’re cooking it – don’t be turned off by the initial smell or look of it. It really does come together to create this rich creamy dish that has a slight sweetness, but has so many layers, that it’s a wow dish. When I make it for guests they can’t guess what the sauce is made of, although they swoon!
You’ll see in the picture that I’ve added a layer of zucchini ribbons. I love the slight crunch and texture it gives along with the pasta, plus hey…it’s greens, they’re good for you!! One more addition I add to my own serving is hot peppers. If you’re a lover of a little kick, I highly recommend it!
I’m craving it so much as I write this, it may be for dinner again tonight!
- Cooking spray
- 1 pound Blue goose Pure Foods ground chicken (this will taste like sausage with all the spices added)
- 4 cloves garlic, cracked and chopped
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1 bay leaf, fresh or dried
- 4 to 6 sprigs sage leaves, cut into chiffonade, about 2 tablespoons
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 1/2 teaspoons dried Italian seasonings
- 1/8 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 3/4 teaspoon dried fennel
- 2/8 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 cup dry white wine
- 1 cup chicken broth or stock
- 1 cup canned pumpkin
- 2 large zucchini, cut into ribbons
- 1 pound penne rigate, cooked to al dente
- Freshly grated parmigiano, to taste
- On medium high spray a Dutch oven pan with cooking spray; add onion and garlic. Sauté until translucent, about 8 min. Add ground chicken and all the spices except the fresh sage. Cook until chicken is almost cooked. Add wine and stir until it’s mostly absorbed. Add pumpkin and broth. Add fresh sage. Once thickened, about 5 minutes, toss with penne and serve with grated Parmigiano.
- Place zucchini in a microwave safe dish and cook for 2 minutes. No water needed.
- Plate zucchini first and then spoon pasta over top. Sprinkle with freshly grated parmiagiano.
- Serve with mixed greens and crusty bread.