Potato and Walnut Pesto Pizza with Egg Yolks
Pizza Morning, Noon and Night = SHEER JOY!!
How many times have you been asked the questions, “If you had to eat one thing for the rest of your life?” and “What would your last meal be?”. Well my answer has always been and will always be, PIZZA!!
What is it about pizza that everyone loves? For me it’s that crunchy doughy crust, saucy and cheesy center along with the ability to change the toppings so many times that you never have to eat the same one twice. Unless you want to!! There aren’t too many dinner meals that are still appealing cold the next day but pizza is definitely one of them!
So I figured hey, instead of standing up in front of the fridge like a barbarian stuffing my face with a slightly soggy (yet still good) variety for breakfast I’d make one with eggs that was hot and if I don’t say so myself, insanely delicious. My daughter declared it amazing so it must be so lol. She’s my greatest critic and although it had tomatoes on it and very runny yolks (two things she hates) she still proclaimed it the best she’d ever had!
The recipe only uses half of the dough so if you want to double the recipe it’s very simple. I cooked it in a cast iron pan because it’s an amazing cooking surface and a fun way to serve it but if you don’t have one or want to double it, just use your favorite pizza pan. This craving will never be fully satisfied!
- ½ package pizza dough
- ¼ cup + 4 tablespoons Olive oil
- 10 large leaves basil
- ¼ cup chopped walnuts
- 1 garlic clove
- 2 tablespoons parmesan cheese
- Salt and pepper
- 1 large tomato
- ½ garlic clove, chopped
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- ½ tablespoon dried oregano
- 1 russet potato
- 4 cups baby spinach
- 4oz shredded mozzarella
- 2 egg yolks
- Set oven to 425 degrees.
- Peel and chop potato. Add 2 tablespoons olive oil in a fry pan and add potato. Sauté until tender and golden. Approx. 20 min. Add spinach and cook until it wilts. Add salt and pepper to taste. Remove from heat.
- Place basil, walnuts, garlic, parmesan cheese and ¼ cup olive oil in a blender and puree until almost smooth.
- Chop tomatoes and mix with ½ garlic clove, oregano, vinegar and salt/pepper.
- Pour 1 tablespoon olive oil in a medium size cast iron pan and place in the heated oven for 10 min.
- While heating pan add a touch of olive oil to your hands and pat entire dough ball. Place on floured surface and roll into a round pizza shape. When pan is very hot remove from oven and gently place rolled pizza dough inside the pan, allowing the sides to be slightly irregular. Spread 2 tablespoons pesto, then mozzarella and potato mixture. Bake for 20 min. Add egg yolks and continue baking for 3 -4 min. Immediately sprinkle with tomatoes and serve.
- 50 Best Pizza Recipes You Must Try Once | ZetWet Blog - […] Potato and Walnut Pesto Pizza with Egg Yolks […]