Paleo “Whole Wheat” Look-a Like Bread
I’m Kickin’ Paleo Butt!!!
I will admit when asked the ever important question, “If you were on a desert island and could only take one thing with you what would it be?” I most often find myself saying bread! Nothing satisfies in quite the same way in my books!
In my last blog I wrote briefly about my total love for bread and pasta, and how the biggest challenge I faced by going paleo was having neither of those things.
I have to say this bread has filled that hole very nicely.
Now granted its not a big honkin piece of French Baguette or Focaccia but when I want a sandwich or crave a slice of something, I always feel satisfied with this.
The first time I fiddled with this recipe I made it with coconut oil and potato starch but I have to admit, that although I do like coconut a lot, I found the flavour a bit overwhelming and couldn’t have imagined it with sliced chicken or tuna on it for lunch. The potato starch didn’t blow my mind either. I found it too dense.
So round 2 sent me out looking for a better alternative and that’s when I discovered a brand called Earth Balance. Love, love, love the butter spread!! It’s AMAZING!!!! It tastes great on this bread toasted , on sweet potatoes and well….just about everything!!
I also did some reading and learned that tapioca starch is the way to roll with paleo breads. So alas created the perfect bread. Want white bread…add blanched almond flour instead!
There are so many other things you could do with this basic recipe to make it your own by adding cocoa, nuts, seeds, flax, hemp hearts, dried fruits …the possibilities are endless. Even try adding spices for a more sweet loaf for dessert.
I’ve also, been thinking it would make great French toast if I added raisin and cinnamon to the batter too.
Report back and tell me what you did with it!
My next plan with it is too add creamed corn instead of apple sauce and chopped pickled jalapenos. The perfect cornbread with Beanless Chili!
- 1 cup unblanched almond flour (ground almonds with skins)
- 1 cup tapioca starch (easily found at bulk food stores)
- 2 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon pink sea salt
- 8 large eggs
- 1 cup unsweetened organic apple sauce
- 4 tablespoons Earth Balance Soy Free Dairy Free Spread
- Set oven to 350 degrees.
- Mix dry ingredients together and set aside.
- Place apple sauce in a medium size bowl and add all eggs.
- Add butter spread and whisk until butter is the size of peas. (It doesn’t have to be completely broken down into it)
- Add wet ingredients to dry and blend until completely incorporated.
- Grease 2 loaf pans with a touch of the butter spread and divide the batter between them.
- Bake in the oven for 23-25 min. Best slightly under cooked than over cooked.
- Cool slightly and remove bread to wire racks to finish cooling.
- Once cool seal in a Ziploc bag in the fridge.
- 41 Paleo Brunch Recipes Everyone Will Enjoy | Paleo Grubs - […] 23. Whole Wheat Lookalike Bread […]
- 41 Paleo Brunch Recipes Everyone Will Enjoy - Your Herbal Health Shop - […] 23. Whole Wheat Lookalike Bread […]