Organic Trout with Roasted Heirloom Carrots, Baby Leeks and Almond Miso Butter
Fall is in the Air!
With summer now over and the fall flavours and colours of fall moving in I always feel the need to create recipes using vibrant flavours and colours.
This dish looks gorgeous, tastes divine and can me made in 30 minutes.
This past weekend I had the pleasure of running the Blue Goose Pure Foods booth at The Toronto Food and Wine Festival (I’m going to write a blog about it later) . It was one of the main foodie events of the season and what a blast it was! We were serving up the Fried Chicken and Waffles with Honey Sriracha Butter that I blogged last week and let me tell you it was HUGE hit.
The one upside (and downside) to being there for 3 days with the same 200 plus restaurants, chefs and food/drink vendors is that we all love to share our food among each other, what we call bartering. The upside is obvious, INCREDIBLE food and drinks. The downside is my expanding waistline lol.
So with that in mind I created this dish, which aside from a touch of butter, is light and full of healthy ingredients. The miso butter is addictive and can be used in so many ways. Leave out the wine and add lemon juice, lime juice or even a touch of sake. Although the ingredients sound Asian it really doesn’t have to be used only in recipes that incorporate those flavours, its a super addictive and unique sauce.
- 4-4oz organic Blue Goose Pure Foods Trout
- 1 cup chopped Herbs (basil, thyme, rosemary, cilantro, parsley)
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 16 baby Heirloom carrots, cleaned and peeled
- 8 baby leeks, cleaned
- 2 tablespoons Olive oil
- Salt and pepper
- 1 tablespoon lemon zest
- 4 tablespoons quartered almonds, dry roasted
- 4 tablespoons butter, salted
- 1-1/2 tablespoons white miso paste
- Splash white wine
- 1 lemon thinly sliced
- Basmati or Jasmine rice, cooked
- Set oven to 425 degrees.
- Place carrots and leeks in an oven safe dish. Whisk olive oil, salt/pepper and lemon zest in a small bowl. Pour over vegetables. Bake covered for 10 min.
- Spread mustard on flesh of each filet and top with herbs, pressing down to stick.
- Spray a cast iron pan with cooking spray and set filets skin side down in pan.
- When the carrots have been in the oven for 10 minutes add fish and cook for 15 minutes.
- Remove from oven and plate carrots, leeks with fish on top. Cover with foil.
- Working quickly, in the same cast iron pan, add butter, miso, wine and almonds. Warm and pour over fish.
- Serve with rice and sliced lemons.