Organic Rice, Black Quinoa and Chicken Bowl with Spicy Beer Molasses BBQ Sauce
Can’t keep a Good “Grain” Down!! Or is that suppose to be a good man??
It’s that time of year again….VACATION TIME!! The pressure’s on, I have 4 weeks until I have to put on that dreaded bathing suit. I’ve spent the last 4 months like so many others in big sweaters, leggings and Uggs. The season of not really noticing those extra few pounds or justifying them by saying we need to a few extra to keep us warm, is coming to a screeching halt very quickly! Picture Road Runner as he falls off the cliff and hits the ground!!
Well let me tell you, as you get older those few extra winter pounds aren’t as easy to shed come spring, as we humans (like the bears) start to wake from our winter hibernation. The only difference is that the bear gets to wear his big fur Moo-moo all summer too. He might think twice about his lazy habits if he had to shed that fur for a teeny tiny piece of material that only stays on by tying 2 even tinier pieces of string (I may have just given myself even more anxiety with that description).
So as I planned this weeks Tuesday blog I decided it’s going to fit into my “diet” of organic products, healthy carbs, lots of greens and less red meat. I love this combination so much that I truly could gorge myself on it everyday lol. It has everything I could want; a healthy carb choice, healthy fats, lean organic protein and a spicy sauce to tie it all together. If you really want to lower the calories further then omit the cheddar and opt for a little goat’s cheese or low-fat feta and use a sugar-free BBQ sauce. I love the Guy’s Sugar Free Spicy BBQ Sauce at Low Carb Canada.
Food can be delicious and nutritious!! I couldn’t imagine a time when this meal wouldn’t meet my cravings!
- 1/2 cup Brown Rice
- 1/2 cup Black Quinoa (any type works)
- 1 vegetable bouillon
- 2 Blue Goose Pure Foods Organic Boneless Skinless Chicken Breasts
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- 1 garlic clove, chopped
- Salt and pepper
- ½ lemon, squeezed + zest
- 1 avocado
- 8 Brussel sprouts, shredded
- 10 grape tomatoes
- 3oz sharp white cheddar, shredded
- ½ cup cooked corn kernels
- ½ cup chickpeas or black beans
- 2 thin rounds red onion, cut in half and separated
- Barbecue sauce (recipe follows), or favorite bbq sauce
- 2 cups spicy Heinz Ketchup
- 1 cup regular ketchup
- 1 cup molasses
- 1 cup dark ale beer (coke or root beer work well too)
- ½ cup while balsamic vinegar, white wine vinegar or apple cider vinegar
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 6-8 dashed Worcestershire sauce
- ½ small red onion, finely chopped
- Place chicken, olive oil, lemon and zest along with salt and pepper in a large ziplock bag. Shake and massage the ingredients together. Set aside to marinate for 15-20 min. Cook in a medium high skillet for 6-8 min per side. Slice diagonally and keep warm.
- Place quinoa and rice in a medium size pot along with 2 cups of water and bouillon cube. Bring to a boil on medium high; once boiling, lower heat to low and cover with a lid. Simmer for 16-20 mins. or until water is absorbed. Remove from heat and let cool slightly. Fluff with a fork.
- Place 1/2 cup of rice mixture in a single serving bowl. Top with avocado, brussel sprouts, tomatoes, corn, chicken, cheddar cheese, chickpeas and red onion. Drizzle with warm bbq sauce.
- Place all ingredients in a medium size pot and bring to a boil. Lower heat to simmer and cook for 30 min. Leftovers can be cooled and be kept in a sealed mason jar for up to 1 month.