Organic Chicken and Garlic Scape Pizza with Fresh Mozzarella
Pizza on the Brain!!!
Last week I wrote a blog about Paleo bread and how I often find myself craving either bread or pizza . Well after last week’s bread craving was filled, I’ve definitely had pizza on the brain ever since!
People ask me a lot what my favorite type of pizza is and my usual response is that I haven’t found a pizza I don’t like yet lol!!
That’s not exactly true though. I do definitely gravitate to a thin crust pizza that’s a little lighter on the cheese and ingredients. A true Neapolitan pizza pretty much rocks my world. But there are a lot of ties when a simple cheesy take out variety is exactly what I need to satisfy me!
My kids usually want either cheese or just cheese and pepperoni. My favorite flavour combo from a typical take out joint is bacon, ham, onion, hot peppers and tomatoes. AMAZING!!!
Today I decided to go with a thinner more Neapolitan style with less cheese and more emphasis on beautiful artisan ingredients. Garlic scapes are a seasonal ingredient that are local here in Ontario right now. They can be used to replace green onions but have enough of a garlic flavour to replace them as well in recipes. I have used them in a variety of ways from scrambling with eggs, pickling, pesto and sautéing with vegetables. Get creative… you will love these unique vegetables. I bought a bunch of them last weekend when I was at the cottage at an amazing little store called The Collingwood Community Food Co-op. It relies on its membership and volunteers to run the shop, so join and get involved. These are the places we need to be shopping for local organic ingredients, plus it supports your local economy and farmers within it.
The combination of the scape pesto with Blue Goose Pure Foods organic chicken is complete perfection and your body is thanking you for the clean pure ingredients!!
Ps…I add a ton of chili peppers to mine and have gotten to the point, even with take-out pizza, that I can’t eat it with out arugula. Feel free to do the same! 🙂
- 1 batch store bought pizza dough
- 6 tablespoons garlic scape pesto (recipe follows)
- 4 large balls bocconcini. Sliced or soft goat’s cheese
- 6 blue goose pure foods organic boneless skinless chicken thighs
- 2 large beets, roasted and sliced (most grocery store sell them roasted now if you don’t want to do it yourself)
- For the pesto
- 10 large garlic scapes
- 1/3 cup roasted salted pepitas
- 1/3 cup finely grated Parmigiano-Reggiano
- Kosher salt and black pepper
- 2/3 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- ½ teaspoon honey
- Handful flat leaf parsley
- Chili peppers flakes, to taste
- Set oven to 425 degrees
- Place all pesto ingredient in a blender and process until smooth.
- Toss chicken with 2 tablespoons of pesto and cook on a flat top cast iron skillet or bbq until crispy and cooked. Approx.. 8-10 min. Cut into large chunks.
- Cut dough in half and roll out to a thin round crust by dusting the counter and patting both sides of the dough with olive oil from your hands. This process helps to make the rolling easier. Repeat with second half of crust.
- Place 2 tablespoons on each round and spread evenly. Place half of the bocconcini on each crust along with the beets.
- Place chicken on top and bake for 20 min.
- Serve immediately with a drizzle of more pesto and chili peppers.