Massaman Curry Mac and Cheese Pie with Ground Beef
I really love that Thai Pie!!!
Is there anything better in the world than Mac and Cheese….yes….Thai Curry Mac and Cheese! This week I’ve been working with Thai Kitchen to create a recipe using their new Massaman Curry Paste and this is what I came up with.
I’m not sure why, but I immediately wanted to make a Thai flavoured mac/cheese once I tasted the curry paste. It has a rich deep flavour of chili’s, ginger, lemongrass and cardamom and I thought it would be crazy amazing paired with cheese and pasta! It’s not typical flavours of Thai cuisine but definitely delicious!!
This particular paste works best with beef or even lamb due to it’s richness. It’s truly the best curry and even CNN agrees with me. They named Massaman Curry the #1 food of 50 foods around the world! Thai Kitchen has an awesome YouTube video on Massaman Beef Curry as well! It’s a really fun watch and teaches you how to make another great recipe using this paste. I love it because it packs a punch without spending all day in the kitchen.
I added quite a bit of curry paste to my sauce but you can adjust to your taste or even spice it up a lot by adding chili peppers. Feel free to use whatever cheese you love to pair with mac/cheese. This paste will work with anything. I added peas but you can either omit them or add another vegetable like mushrooms, broccoli or even asparagus. The sauce was a combination of coconut milk and skim milk so it’s Thai flavoured and super healthy!!
Don’t let the springform pan shake you, pour it in a casserole dish and bake instead if you don’t have one!
I live quite close to a Metro so I bought it there, but it’s also available at Sobey’s.
Happy Thai Cravings!
- 1.5lbs Ground beef
- 1 medium sweet onion, finely chopped
- Kosher salt
- 1 pound medium shells pasta
- 5 tablespoons butter
- 5 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 6 tablespoons Thai Kitchen Massaman Curry paste
- 2 can coconut milk
- 2 cups whole milk
- 8 ounces Monterey Jack cheese, grated
- 8 ounces Cheddar cheese, grated
- 3/4 cup panko bread crumbs
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Turn oven on to 375 degrees.
- Place meat and onion along with 2 tablespoons curry paste in a fry pan and cook on medium high until cooked through; approx.10-12 min.
- For the mac 'n' cheese: Bring 4 quarts of water to a boil in a large pot. Salt generously, and then add the pasta. Cook until al dente. Approx. 6-8 min.
- In another large pot, melt the butter over medium-high heat. Whisk in the flour and continue whisking until it deepens to an amber colour, about 3 minutes.
- Whisk in the remaining 4 tablespoons Thai Kitchen Massaman curry paste, and when fully combined, pour in the milk and coconut milk. Bring to a boil, whisking constantly, and then turn down to a simmer. Simmer until the mixture thickens, whisking occasionally, about 5 minutes.
- Off heat, whisk in the cheeses and stir until melted. Add the pasta and ground lamb and toss to combine.
- Pour entire mixture into a large springform pan that’s been greased with cooking spray.
- Toss the panko with the melted butter and season with salt and pepper. Sprinkle evenly over mac and cheese.
- Bake for 30 min covered. Turn the oven to broil and remove tinfoil. Cook for 5 minutes to crisp the breadcrumbs.
- Let cool for 15 minutes. Remove outer ring of pan and serve by slicing a piece like a cake.