Grilled Organic Zucchini Hummus with Pepitas
Take away the beans and add in the seeds!!!
I’ve recently gone Paleo which has meant some big food and mind adjustments for me! One of the things I ate a lot of was hummus and chickpeas, so the idea that I now couldn’t was a touch painful! Well with this new recipe I can eat it to my heart’s content!
I eat a lot of zucchini so I figured why not try and see what I can come up with to create flavour and a similar texture. Grilling the zucchini gives it a deeper richer flavour then just searing it. So I grilled the zucchini, added the tahini, garlic, lemon juice and cumin. It was very good, but…..I sill felt like it needed a denser texture so I added the pepitas!
BINGO!!! It was the perfect consistency! In the recipe you’ll see that I only say to add 1 garlic glove. That’s because I truthfully don’t enjoy a lot of raw garlic but feel free to add as many as you can handle.
I also add cayenne pepper because I like a little spice to my hummus…skip it if you want! If you wanted this a touch different you could add in roasted peppers or even coconut milk instead of water along with a touch of fresh cilantro.
As I always say…it’s just food…create away!!!
Thank goodness this craving was met!!!
- 2 large zucchini, cut into ¼in thick horizontal slices
- 1 lemon, juiced
- ¼ cup water
- 2 tablespoons tahini
- 1/8 tsp cayenne
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 2 tablespoons fresh flat leaf parsley
- ¼ cup roasted pepitas (pumpkin seeds)
- 1 garlic clove
- On medium-high heat, BBQ zucchini until slightly crisp on each side, approx. 2 min per side.
- Once zucchini id slightly cooled add it along with all the other ingredients to a blender and puree until it’s thick and creamy. Add a touch more water if needed.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Transfer to a serving bowl and drizzle with good quality olive oil and a sprinkle of pepitas.
- Rustic Tabbouleh with 24hr Marinated Chicken Skewers and Tahini Sauce - Nancy's Cravings - […] be bothered to make the tahini sauce feel free to serve with store bought hummus or even my Grilled…