French Toast Sandwich with Whipped Cream Cheese, Raspberries and Boozy Maple Syrup
French Toast Meets the Sandwich & Falls in Love!!
What is comfort food. To me it’s something warm, satisfying and just a little bit decadent! This is definitely all that and more!!
Maybe it’s the snow melting and that hint of Spring in the air but it seems like every time I go to the grocery store lately I’m drawn in by the berries. I know they’re still not local and don’t really taste any better than they did a month ago but somehow it’s knowing that soon I can go and pick them that makes me want to cook with them endlessly right now!
This recipe is simple, quick and tastes divine! If you can use challah or brioche my personal feeling is that it tastes better and works out more easily! The texture of these breads and the slightly sweet flavour makes them perfect for French toast.
Be careful not to soak the bread too long. You want it wet but not falling apart. Make sure the pan is greased well and at a good medium high temp. You know what it’s like…envision that first pancake in the pan. Almost always a fail; bad colour and mushy! Heat is everything!
If you don’t have raspberries, use strawberries or blueberries, you could even use sautéed apples. There’s no great science to this people. Eat what comforts YOU!
Eat what YOU Crave!!
- 4 Tbsp. unsalted butter
- 2 eggs
- ½ cup half and half
- ½ tsp vanilla
- ½ tsp cinnamon
- ¼ tsp freshly ground nutmeg
- pinch of salt
- 4 slices of day-old challah, slice and leave on counter overnight
- ½ cup raspberry jam
- ½ cup whipped cream cheese
- Powdered sugar
- 1 cup maple syrup
- ½ cup frozen raspberries
- ¼ cup rum, optional
- Lightly beat together eggs, cream, vanilla, cinnamon, nutmeg and salt in a shallow bowl.
- Heat a fry pan on medium high with enough butter to accommodate bread slices.
- Dip each bread slice in egg mixture for 30 seconds per side, allowing excess to drip off.
- Place bread slices in hot pan. Do in batches if they don’t all fit. Don’t overcrowd them. Cook until a golden crust appears and flip over. Continue until toast is crispy and golden all over.
- Set in a warm oven if having to do batches.
- Meanwhile, mix maple syrup, rum and frozen strawberries together in a small saucepan and slow boil until strawberries are soft and slightly melted into syrup. Keep warm. (you can omit rum if not wanted)
- Once all French toast is cooked, spread 2 slices with whipped cream cheese and the other 2 with jam. Being generous with both.
- Serve immediately with sprinkled powdered sugar and Boozy maple syrup.