Eggplant and Organic Chicken Parmesan Burger
The American Italian at its best!!!
I’m lucky enough to be taking a few days off at the cottage right now! Like with most food bloggers we go through stages where we can’t get enough of the kitchen and then others where we want to eat take-out or leftovers for a week!
This beautiful marriage of two meals is a result of my laziness this week! I made a big batch of Chicken and Eggplant Parm for dinner one night and the next day served it as a burger! Voila the Chicken Eggplant Parm Burger was born!
I have to say it kinda rocked!! Of course I’m super biased because truthfully I could eat eggplant parmesan 7 days a week with or without chicken!!
I really suggest using organic chicken because often leftover chicken is super dry the next day, but not organic! It’s still juicy and moist!!
As a mostly paleo style eater I often miss pasta and for some reason this recipe really hits the spot!! It feels so decadent but really isn’t fattening at all!! Ok…well without the bun anyway! But come on…we could live and splurge sometimes right?!?!
This is the best recipe because it fills my burger craving and pasta craving all in one!!!
- 4 blue goose pure foods boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1 large eggplant, sliced into 1/3 inch thick pieces
- 4 cups tomato sauce, homemade or store bought
- 4 good quality burger buns or gluten/paleo burger buns
- 2 tablespoons butter or soy free paleo buter
- 2 cups Low fat cottage cheese
- 1 cup shredded sharp white cheddar
- 3 eggs, lightly beaten
- 2 cups panko crumbs or gluten free breadcrumbs
- Leafy lettuce
- Chili flakes (optional)
- Set oven to 400 degrees.
- Place sliced eggplant on a paper towel in a single layer. Sprinkle with salt and cover with another layer of appear towel. Let rest for 1 hour. Press paper towel slightly to get all moisture and excess salt.
- Place eggs in a shallow bowl.
- Place breadcrumbs in a shallow bowl.
- Dredge chicken and eggplant in egg and then breadcrumbs. Spray each side of both with cooking spray.
- Place on separate cookie sheet.
- Bake chicken first for 40 min.
- Place eggplant in 10 minute late.
- Cook for 30 min.
- While they’re cooking, spread butter on both sides of all buns and griddle fry until golden and crisp.
- 10 minutes from the end of cooking time, spread tomato sauce and cottage cheese evenly over chicken and eggplant.
- Place equal amounts of cheddar cheese on 4 bottom buns, bake until melted. 3 min.
- Once cooked add chicken and 3 eggplant rounds, Garnish with lettuce and top with burger bun. Serve immediately.
- *sprinkle with chili flakes if you want to really live!
- Burgers Inspired by International Cuisines | Williams-Sonoma - […] Chicken and Eggplant Parmesan Burger […]