Egg White Omelette with Caramelized Onion, Feta and Prosciutto wrapped Mushrooms
It’s time to get back on the wagon!
Ahhh those blissful days leading up to and during the holidays when we indulge, saying we’ll get back on track after the holidays. Well reality has hit hard….it’s now post Christmas and all that’s left are distant memories of friends, family and food, along with a few extra pounds!
But let’s not all kid ourselves…it was worth it!!! We thank all the hosts of parties that have cooked and baked, providing us with so many beautiful temptations that were hard to resist. For me it’s the savoury over the sweet. I love everything about a traditional turkey dinner and all the little hors d’oeurves at the parties.
So today’s recipe is a little lighter than my Sunday Brunches often are with the idea of eating a little healthier post holidays. I eat egg whites almost everyday and love them. If you want to do this with whole eggs then go for it. The joy of an oven baked open face omelette is the no fail factor. You can’t mess it up unless you leave it in the oven way too long. You can add any cheese or topping and it’s always delicious. Try roasted red peppers someday with goat’s cheese….amazing! Happy Craving!
- 8 egg whites, whipped
- 1 medium onion, thinly sliced
- 2oz feta or goat’s cheese
- ½ teaspoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1-2 tablespoons butter
- Chives, chopped
- 2 slices rustic bread
- 2 trumpet mushrooms
- 2 slices prosciutto
- Set oven to 375 degrees.
- Place onions, sugar, salt and olive oil in a sauté pan on medium low for approx. 20 min untl soft and golden. Lower heat if the onions begin to burn at all.
- Wrap mushrooms with prosciutto and place in the oven on tinfoil. Cook for 15-20 min.
- Spray a small oven safe fry pan with cooking spray and pour egg whites in. Sprinkle with chives, salt and pepper to taste. Using medium high heat start to set the omelette for about 4 min. Sprinkle crumbled feta over omelette and place the onions in the center. Then place in the oven for 8-10 min.
- Butter both side of toast ad cut into fingers if wanted. Place in the oven along with the eggs and mushrooms for 6-8 min.
- Turn the oven to broil and cook everything for 2-3 min.
- Remove everything from the oven and serve immediately.