Creamy Lemon Smashed Peas on Toast With Fried Eggs
The Bunny’s in the House Today and all things Lead to Spring!
It’s Easter Sunday and that means a quick breakfast that’s bright, Easter-y and something healthy because later we will gorge on so many great foods!
As a kid I have to admit I seriously hated peas. They just seemed mushy and blah to me. I’m a texture gal…I have very definitive opinions on the texture of foods. It’s funny because I have little ways of describing the texture of foods too. Like certain fish I call squeaky and people just don’t get it until I fully describe and then they always say…oh ya I totally see what you mean!
Anyhow, back to the recipe! As I got older I grew to love peas, especially the ones that were fresh in the pod come spring and summer. This recipe is bright and fresh in flavours combined with rich creamy yumminess of a fried egg and the yolk!
Choose a fabulous crusty bread…the texture will work well with everything else!
I crave eggs almost everyday!!
- 8 slices crusty French bread or multigrain, toasted and buttered
- 2 cups fresh or frozen peas
- ¼ cup 35% cream
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- ¼ teaspoon lemon zest
- 1 garlic clove, chopped
- 2 tablespoons chives
- 8 eggs, fried sunny side up
- Place peas, cream, garlic, salt/pepper, lemon juice and zest, and chives in a bowl and blend together by crushing the peas and smoothing everything together.
- Spread on buttered toast and serve with fried eggs on top. Season with salt and pepper to taste.