Chocolate Mousse with Skor Bar, Crumbled Shortbread and Strawberries
This Mousse be Amazing!!
I made this dessert at the end of June for my sister in law’s birthday. We hosted a brunch at the cottage for her and this was the little dessert we put a candle in.
I often think a custard or mousse is the perfect ending to a meal for brunch or dinner. Even those who don’t have a major sweet tooth will happily take a bite of something sweet and smooth. Sometimes when it’s a large cake that gets presented we immediately feel over-whelmed and feel it is just too much. I often tell friends or clients that this type of ending to a meal is better and more appealing.
That being said my sister in law does have a sweet tooth and does like chocolate so Mousse was the perfect choice. I used skor bar but any chocolate bar could be added or even some chopped nuts. The base of mousse can be used to create so many flavours and textures. Think ice cream with toppings!
- •2 cups chilled heavy cream
- •4 large egg yolks
- •3 tablespoons sugar
- •1 teaspoon vanilla
- •7 oz fine-quality bittersweet chocolate (not unsweetened), chopped
- 4 skor/heath bars
- 16 strawberries, washed
- 4 shortbread cookies, crumbles
- Heat 3/4 cup cream in a 1-quart heavy saucepan until hot. Whisk together yolks, sugar, and a pinch of salt in a metal bowl until combined well, then add hot cream in a slow stream, whisking until combined. Transfer mixture to saucepan and cook over moderately low heat, stirring constantly, until it registers 160°F on thermometer. Pour custard through a fine-mesh sieve into a bowl and stir in vanilla.
- Melt chocolate in a double boiler or a metal bowl set over a pan of simmering water (or in a glass bowl in a microwave at 50 percent power 3 to 5 minutes), stirring frequently. Whisk custard into chocolate until smooth, then cool.
- Beat remaining 1 1/4 cups cream in a bowl with an electric mixer until it just holds stiff peaks. Whisk one fourth of cream into chocolate custard to lighten, then fold in remaining cream gently but thoroughly.
- Spoon mousse into 8 (6-ounce) stemmed glasses or ramekins and chill, covered, at least 6 hours. Let stand at room temperature about 20 minutes before serving.
- Crumble skor bars and shortbread on mousse. Add strawberries and chill until ready to serve.
- *try to add the cookie crumbles as close to serving time as possible in order to keep their crunch.