Chia, Yogurt, Strawberry and Coconut Popsicles
Chia, Chia, Chia….My New Love!!!
Sorry it’s been so long since I posted a new recipe. I decided to take a well needed vacation from life and go to Mexico. I missed all of my readers and writing my blog so much more than I thought I would BUT not enough to make me work during those 7 days of pure bliss hehe!
The resort we went to was so beautiful it was incredibly hard to leave! My first day back in Toronto was so rainy and cold that it made me super cranky, almost so much that I didn’t even want to be around myself hehe. Well its been 3 days now and I’m adjusting better and people can now be around me again. 🙂
So while I was away we, like everyone else at a resort on the islands, drank our fare share of blended sweet fruity drinks. So with that on my mind and wanting to create while still gettiing the flavours (but with a few less calories and of course no alcohol – apparently they frown on that for kids treats), I created this recipe.
As most of you know I live a pretty healthy balanced life of good nutrition, exercise and organic foods. For the last 6 months I’ve been writing a blog for Blue Goose Pure Foods each Tuesday using their organic chicken and trout. We’ve recently discussed creating content for their blog that is Paleo based.
Up until now I have to admit I hadn’t thought to extensively about what Paleo was. I’ve catered a few corporate lunches for Reebok Canada and made them Paleo but beyond that hadn’t fully done my research.
So I’ve decided to go completely Paleo for 30 days and see exactly how it works and what the health benefits are first hand. I’ve bought a few books and started my research. I have to admit when I first thought of Paleo I imagined starvation for 30 days. Allowing no grains, legumes, dairy or anything processed seemed so restrictive and sort of a chefs nightmare! But as I read more and got my creative juices flowing I now think I’m going to rock this!! The no adult beverages might be the death of me though lol.
SO….back to the recipe….this is my first Paleo recipe and it was fast, simple and tasted like heaven! Plus it provides an awesome afterschool snack for my kids or even a dessert. Chia seeds are really the coolest ingredient. It has so many health benefits and can be used in shakes, as a coating for chicken and fish, sprinkled on cereal or used to bake with. Do yourself a favour and go out and get some!
I won’t always be serving up Paleo recipes though so stayed tuned all you hard-core foodporn peeps although you might be surprised that what the caveman ate is actually pretty decadent!
- 1 cup grass fed plain greek yogurt (or regular if you can’t find grass fed)
- 1 cup lite coconut milk
- 2 tablespoons chia seeds (black or white)
- 1½ cups diced organic strawberries + 8 thick slices
- ¼ cup unsweetened shredded coconut
- 3 tablespoons organic honey
- 8 popsicle sticks and Popsicle mold
- Mix coconut milk, chia seeds, shredded coconut and 1.5 tablespoons honey in a bowl and mix well. Set in fridge for 3 hours.
- Place yogurt, diced strawberries and remaining honey in a blender and puree. Pour half way up each mold, slide 1 slice of strawberry alongside of mold so it shows and freeze for 45 min. remove from freezer and place popsicles sticks in the center. Continue to freeze.
- When chia is ready fill each mold to the top and freeze for another 3 hours.
- To remove popsicles from molds, run under hot water for 30 seconds. They should slide out easily!