Cheddar Scones with Sriracha Turkey Sausage and Poached Eggs
Sweet, Spicy and Creamy all rolled into one!
Sweet buttery scones, spicy sriracha sausage and creamy poached eggs with avocado pretty much rock my world! So often my husband makes fun of me for incorporating either poached eggs (soft and runny) or avocado into a recipe. Ok…so maybe I’m a bit obsessed with these two items. I honestly don’t know why, but my mouth waters and I have food envy when I see pictures of either of these two things.
In my 20’s and 30’s we used to go out for Sunday brunch quite a bit and I’d always get one of two things…poached eggs on salad with avocado or egg white omelette with avocado, roasted red pepper and goats cheese AND whenever possible I’d add turkey sausage if they had it. This recipe is my ode to those happy carefree days! The only difference is that I’ve added yet another fav; scones!
Scones…they can be amazing; sweet, buttery and flaky or they can be horrible little pucks of choke worthy dried out nastiness. Don’t worry this recipe is for the delicious kind!. DO NOT OVER COOK THEM! It’s the same policy with cornbread…overcook and it’s impossible to swallow. I know you know what I’m talking about!! This recipe just makes me crave more!
- 2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup cold butter, cubed
- 2 cups old cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 8 Large eggs
- 1 avocado, sliced
- 6 turkey sausage, casings removed
- 2 tablespoons sriracha, plus more to taste for plating
- 4 green inions, chopped
- 16 grape tomatoes, chopped
- Frisee or mixed greens, garnish
- In a large bowl, stir together the flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, cayenne pepper and salt.
- Using a pastry blender or two knives, cut in the butter until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
- Stir in the cheese.
- Add the buttermilk all at once, stirring with a fork to make a soft, sticky dough.
- With lightly floured hands, press the dough into a ball.
- On a lightly floured surface, knead gently 10 times.
- Pat out the dough into a 3/4-inch thick round.
- Using a 2-1/2-inch floured cutter, cut out rounds.
- Place on an ungreased baking sheet.
- Gather up the scraps and repat dough once; cut out more rounds.
- Brush the tops of the scones with egg and sprinkle with remaining cheese..
- Bake in a 425 degree F oven for 12 to 15 minutes or until golden.
- Cook sausage with a little water and sriracha until crispy and browned in a medium high fry pan.
- Poach eggs in a 4 quart pot with a capful of white vinegar. Place each eggint a small ramekin and gently slide into simmering water; cook for 4 minutes. Remove with a slotted spoon. Trim ragged edges.
- To plate: place 2 warm scones cut in half per plate and butter each side. Place avocado on bottom half, then egg, sausage and frisee. Scatter green onions around the plate and drizzle with more sriracha.