Butternut Squash Soup with Pulled Chicken, Goat’s Cheese and Harissa
I’m Falling for the season’s Bounty!!
It’s that time of year again! Kids are back at school, wardrobes have been changed over and the days are getting shorter and shorter.
I have to say one of the best parts of being from Canada is the changing of the seasons. Here in Ontario we have the best of everything in my opinion. Beautiful warm summers, incredible Fall colours and weather, thing’s that make you want to skip with joy as the leaves and flowers begin to bloom.
People often ask me which of the seasons is my favorite, and truthfully it’s so hard to say. Every single one of them is made sweeter by knowing it won’t last forever.
The same could be said about the seasonal foods, each one (with maybe winter being the exception) has so much to offer!
That being said Fall really does hold so many possibilities with its crops. We naturally get colder here which makes us crave warm comfort food, so pumpkins, squash and other fall ingredients are perfect.
One of my households favorite soups is Butternut Squash. I don’t find it hearty enough for a meal so a few years ago I came up with the idea of pouring it hot over pulled chicken, which turned it into the perfect weeknight meal. We top it with lots of different things but this week we decided on goat’s cheese and Harissa.
If you don’t like spicy skip the Harissa – you could add roasted Pepitas with the cheese instead.
- 1-3.5lb Blue Goose Pure Foods Whole Organic Chicken
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1⁄2 cup chopped onion
- 2 large carrots, peeled and roughly chopped
- 1 teaspoon fresh sage, chopped (or 1t. ground dry sage)
- ½ teaspoon cumin
- ½ teaspoon sumac
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 3 cups fat-free chicken broth
- 1 1⁄2 lbs butternut squash (peeled, seeded, cubed)
- Goat’s Cheese
- Set oven to 375 degrees.
- Sprinkle entire chicken with salt and pepper and Place chicken breast side up in a medium size roasting pan. Add 1 cup of water and tightly seal with foil. Bake for 1-1/4 hours. Shred chicken, including all dark meat. Keep arm.
- In a large stock pot or dutch oven, sauté garlic, onion and olive oil on medium until slightly translucent. Add carrot, sage, cumin, sumac, salt/pepper,, broth and squash.
- Cover and simmer for 30 min or until squash is soft.
- Puree in a blender or food processor. Season with more spices to taste.
- Place chicken at the bottom of 6 bowls, top with soup. Sprinkle crumbled goat’s cheese and harissa.