Butternut Squash Soup with Coconut Cream
Halloween is in the air and in the Soup Bowl!!
There are so many things to love about Halloween. Yup, I know the first thing that came to your mind was candy, but how about we leave that to this kids this year and go healthy!
One of the other things that gets me every year is the idea of being able to play with my food. I know, themed food seems so juvenile but it sucks me in every time for Halloween and Christmas.
This soup is super simple and quick. It can be made and eaten within an hour with a surprising depth of flavour.
Feel free to be a bit more intense with the chili flakes…I do!!
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup thinly sliced leeks, whites and pale green parts
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 tablespoon minced peeled fresh ginger
- 1 cups water
- 1-1/2 cup canned coconut milk + 1-1/2 tablespoons coconut cream at the top of the can and 3 tablespoons coconut milk
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon dried chili peppers
- 2 (12-ounce) packages fresh cubed butternut squash
- 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
- Heat a large heavy saucepan over medium-high heat. Add oil to pan; swirl to coat. Add leeks; sauté 3 minutes or until softened, stirring occasionally. Add garlic and ginger; sauté 1 minute. Add 2 cups water, coconut milk, salt, red pepper, and squash; bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer 20 minutes or until squash is tender, stirring occasionally.
- Place coconut cream and 3 tablespoons of coconut milk together in a squeeze bottle.
- Place squash mixture in a blender. Blend until smooth. Stir in lime juice. Garnish with coconut cream mixture.