Buttermilk Organic Chicken Calzone with Pesto
A Perfect Pillowy Cheesy Pocket of Pizza Goodness!!!
So it’s August already and like every August for the past 15 years I start to think about school lunches! All you Mom’s know what I mean right?!? That dreaded school lunch task. The one where your kids say they hate whatever you send or simply come back with nothing eaten. Oh ya and then there’s the perfect lunch, the one you know the kids love. so out of laziness you send it about 10 times in a row and then lo and behold, now they hate it! Yup, it’s almost THAT time of year again!
Let’s be honest, it’s really hard to be creative everyday. You really want to send them the same jelly sandwich or bagel and cream cheese everyday but you can’t! I also, like so may parents, have kids that hate a sandwich for lunch. Mostly they prefer something hot or more interesting.
Homemade Calzones are the perfect lunch, you can portion control it, choose healthy ingredients to stuff it with, customize for each child and make a whack of them to free for future lunches!
The one I chose to make for the blog might be a little fancier than you might do for the kids but why shouldn’t you make yourself one that’s a step up from the cheese and pepperoni variety.
I’m gong to try and do a weekly school lunch blog over the next couple of months so everyone has a few ideas in there arsenal, so keep your eye out for it!
- 2 boneless skinless organic chicken breasts
- 1-1/2 cups buttermilk
- 1 store bought pizza dough
- 1 cup pizza sauce (recipe follows)
- 3 tablespoons basil or Arugula pesto
- 1-1/2 cups mozzarella cheese
- 3 mushrooms, sliced
- ¼ sweet onion sliced
- 1 cup fresh arugula
- 9 basil leaves
- Balsamic glaze
- 1 jar passata
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 anchovies, chopped
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove, chopped
- ¼ teaspoon chili flakes
- Place chicken in buttermilk and marinate for a minimum of 6 hours but best overnight.
- Drain buttermilk and BBQ chicken on medium high until cooked through. About 20 min. Thinly slice.
- Divide dough into 3 equal portions.
- Roll dough to ½ inch thick rounds. Spread with pizza sauce, 1/3 cheese, chicken, mushrooms, onions and pesto between each pizza dough; being careful to leave a rim around the entire pizza crust.
- Moisten all the edges of dough with water and fold over to create a half moon shape. Seal the all edges by crimping both sides together.
- Transfer to a greased cookie sheet or pizza stone.
- Bake at 450 degrees for 25 min.
- Serve with fresh Arugula.
- Place olive oil, onion, garlic, chili flakes and anchovies in a medium sized saute pan.
- Cook on medium until onions are soft and anchovies are completely dissolved. Add passata and oregano. Cook for 1 hour. Use immediately or can be stored in a sealed jar in the fridge for up to 1 week.