Buffalo Chicken and Blue Cheese Savoury Donuts
Buffalo Chicken Not So Wingy!
First thing I have to mention is that I have a huge addiction to buffalo wing sauce, so much so that I keep a bottle in the center console of my car. Whenever I have to eat out on the road I like to have it to add to soups or wraps etc lol. I know I’m just a little bit crazy…my family would definitely agree!!
I was at the cottage a couple of weekends ago and heading to a friends for an après ski dinner when I came up with this recipe. I had offered to bring an hors d’oeuvre (which usually means I’ll bring 2 or 3 – I always need guinea pigs for new recipes lol) so being short on time and ingredients I used up what I had at the cottage.
So the original go at this recipe included only buffalo wing sauce, blue cheese and Pillsbury dough. I originally cut each piece of dough in half and rolled it into a small ball then stuffed a piece of blue cheese inside. Then I fried it in a pot with sunflower oil, drained it on paper towel and tossed it in buffalo wing sauce. Two things I learned; 1) these need to be eaten right away as they get soggy from the sauce within 30 minutes, so when I cooled them and reheated them at the party they were tasty enough but not crispy like I wanted and 2) it needed more to it like more filling and a dipping sauce.
So plan B included larger balls that I rolled out, ground chicken cooked with buffalo wing sauce and an amazing blue cheese dipping sauce. As I mentioned in the recipe, if you hate blue cheese feel free to add feta or cheddar and serve it with ranch dressing instead. This final recipe was a huge success…I thought they were the perfect combination of crispy and spicy!
When I served them this time I added a blue cheese dipping sauce and more buffalo wing sauce (mostly for me hehe)!!
Craving more right now!!
- 2 Packages Pillsbury Flaky Biscuit Grands
- 1lb Blue Goose Pure Foods Organic Ground Chicken
- 6oz blue cheese, crumbled
- Buffalo Wing Sauce (I used President’s Choice)
- Blue Cheese or Ranch Dressing (blue cheese sauce recipe follows)
- 8 cups neutral oil (sunflower, peanut)
- 1 cup crumbled blue cheese
- 3/4 cup mayonnaise
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- Kosher salt and cracked black pepper
- Pace ground chicken in a fry pan at medium high and sauté until almost cooked. Add ½ cup buffalo sauce and continue to cook until fully cooked. Set aside and cool.
- Open Pillsbury packages and separate biscuits. With a rolling pin flatten each round to double in size.
- Crumble blue cheese.
- Place 1 teaspoon of ground chicken mixture on each pastry round along with a few crumbles of blue cheese (use feta if you hate blue cheese). Bring all edges together to foully seal center and roll into a ball. Make sure all edges are sealed.
- Heat oil to 370 degrees in either a deep fryer or deep pan. Fry balls for 10 minutes in small batches. Turn out on to paper towel to drain. Place in bowl and toss with buffalo wing sauce. Plate and drizzle with either ranch or blue cheese dressing and sprinkle with extra blue cheese or feta. Serve immediately.
- Combine the blue cheese, mayonnaise, sour cream and Worcestershire sauce together in mixing bowl or food processor and mix until combined. Season with salt and pepper.